This morning we discussed relationship cycles in class, to much thought-provoking-ment. I recognized several of my current close relationships at different points on that cycle.
What I wonder is what determines the difference between relationships that form a pyramid (my relationships with my coworkers) and those that become cyclical (presumably, my relationship to my spouse). Friends that I thought I would be friends with forever have been on the declining side of the pyramid. People that I never thought I would be close to have been recurring throughout my life and have thus followed the cycle, or if they do form a pyramid eventually, it is after a longer cycle than previously predicted. I can't find any discernible difference, such that I can predict at the outset of a relationship if it will form a pyramid or a cycle.
The only way I can think to differentiate is by bringing in the gospel. I remember hearing a while back that "most relationships that aren't sealed in the temple end up fading at some point." I think that must be the key. In the chaos that is life, people get tossed about and occasionally torn apart. Part of my thinks that the sealing powers are the only thing strong enough to keep people bound together enough that they don't get torn to bits in the chaos.
November 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment